Saturday, September 12, 2009

CHI LE Chi Chi Chi Le Le Le Viva Chile!

Woohoo for Saturdays! I fell asleep at 9:00 last night and slept until 8:30... It was a gorgeous morning, with just the right chilliness and lots of sun. I drove into San Fernando central with Papá and Alicia around nine... Alicia had Pre and I wanted to stay at la Abuelita's house so I can go to a fiesta later... I love Saturdays!

First off, a few notes about random things.
1. Pre. Pronounced like Pray but with an almost-rolling R, it's short for Pre-Universitario (I think?)... Anyway, it's a super big deal here for seniors in high school who plan to go to college (side note: If you don't go to college you're eligible for a draft into the military... I know a boy who's on the list this year O.o). The SAT equivalent in Chile is the PSU, which students take immediately after graduation. It's a huge deal... Unlike the SAT, you have to study for it and study hard. It has a history section in addition to the math and language and most seniors have Pre for about 10 hours a week in preparation. (I'm so glad I don't have to take the PSU... So glad...)
2. It's hard for my family to drive into town a lot since we live about 30 minutes out in a "suburb" type deal. This being said, if I want to do anything on weekends I have to seriously pull some strings. I'm not allowed to go alone in collectivos (taxis that work like buses, picking up multiple passengers in each round of the city but will go where you ask them... It's complicated to explain but way cheaper than a private-taxi) or in micros, small buses. So I have to either wake up early and go with Alicia in the car(it's weird saying Alicia because I call her Maka... Macarena is a common second name here and in the house Alicia Macarena is called Maka) or wake up early and go with Poncho in a collectivo.

Anyhow, today at noon I'm going to a Feista de Comida Mexicana! Yet another "fiesta that's not really a fiesta," as Pizarro (it's at his house) is of a religion where you can't celebrate birthdays so I'm not allowed to call this a cumpleaños even though it's on his birthday. If you didn't follow that, don't worry... Haha. I'm invited because I can make tacos... Not to mention the fact that I miss Mexican food A LOT and am really anticipating cramming my mouth with salsa and black beans. Wink.

Cueca!
Thursday of this week there was a celebration of Cueca in the main Plaza of San Fernando called "Mil Pañuelas al Viento," or 1000 Handkerchiefs in the Wind. When you dance Cueca, you have a special handkerchief to swirl if you're the girl or just hold if you're the guy. I went, danced horribly a little bit, got scraped by someone's spurs (the guy's outfits include huge spurs, boots, and chaps), and had a great time. I took some photos with my film camera, which I'll scan when I develop the roll, and there are a few pics on Facebook. As soon as I get my camera adapter I'll be adding more photos, but here's one from a friend: In my dress, holding my pañuelo... With Pedro in his huaso get-up... Minus the spurs and chaps. Note the stray dog... They're absolutely everywhere. This is taken on the edge of the main Plaza, which is huge with a gorgeous fountain.


Anyway, next Thursday is the day before the national independance day here, 18 September. It's a HUGE deal, we have no school, everyone dances Cueca and eats empanadas, and I am very excited. Anyway, since there's no school Friday, the Cueca celebration at school is on the 17th. As an exchange student, I'm automatically dancing... Seriously scared, as my feet don't seem to like the Cueca very much... My head knows what to do, but my feet just don't obey! Yeah, fail.
Anyway, I'm dancing with Pedro, who's going to have enormous, dangerous spurs on his feet, and it's even a little bit scary. I'm excited, though, since my dress is really beautiful and it's super fun to watch the Cueca...
Hay tiempo, hay tiempo.

I finally bought film for daddy's old camera, and I've been enjoying taking photos with it. The film here is fairly cheap -- I bought two rolls for three dollars -- and I'll be developing it soon and scanning the results.

I got your package, Mrs. Hart!! Monday, I think, I'm going to call a few people around five-thirty and you're on the list. Thank you SO much! I was super excited when I heard it had arrived, and to pick up mail here we go to the general store of sorts... We drove in around ten on Thursday. I was freakin' out. :D

Hmm... Not much else to add.
I'm headed off soon, so Chao to everyone!

Thanks for reading :D
Emily

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And how it to paraphrase?

Anonymous said...

In my opinion. You were mistaken.