Friday, June 26, 2009

Treinta y Dos Días...

It's been a while since I last updated this blog. I think it's about time, now that I'm going to start giving out the link!

I received information about my family only a couple of weeks after I was accepted. The Arenas Riquelme family lives in the tiny town of Puente Negro (considered a part of slightly larger San Fernando where I will go to school). I have a nineteen year old sister and an eighteen year old brother (in their last years of school), two teachers for parents, and two dogs. My sister, Alicia, and brother, "Poncho," have been incredibly sweet and understanding as I email them in extremely poor Spanish. Here are some photos they've sent me...


This is my mom, presumably outside my house. The little girl in the background is probably a cousin or neighbor (I don't know for sure due to gaps in communication...).

In the house I will sleep in my own bedroom. I'll be getting up at 6:00 AM (I didn't know it was possible to have to get up earlier than I do for Plant!) and going to San Fernando College. This is a private school which houses about 1000 kids from young children to 19 and 20 year olds. I'm debating whether or not to take my laptop...







Although I'm not sure who this little boy is (probably a cousin?), I love this photo because you can see the gorgeous view from the backyard! Just look at those mountains... I get excited just thinking about it.










Y mi mamá, con un bombon tradicional - las empanadas.

(Thank you, Rosetta Stone...)









I'm so terrifically excited - this family is exactly what I hoped for when I applied. This looks nothing like Los Estados Unidos. I'm getting exactly what I wanted - a very unique experience.


Other things I've been doing...
1. Rosetta Stone
2. Getting a visa
3. Talking to mis compañeros de clase - my classmates

Rosetta Stone is a blessing. A mighty expensive one, but wonderfully helpful. I originally thought I would go to Chile knowing no Spanish at all, but now I can't imagine putting myself through that. Even just the basics I've learned in my 20-or-so hours spent with the R.S. have been unequivocally helpful. I almost know more Spanish than French now... Thanks a lot, high school language classes!

Getting a Visa... I should call it Going Through Hell instead. If I were in Tampa, things would be easier - but as it is, I have to fly from Vermont to the closest Chilean consulate in Boston. Not only that, but my dad has to fly up as well in order to sign documents in person. Of course, that's not how it's supposed to work, but the guys at the Boston consulate are incredibly unhelpful. If you ever feel like a laugh, give them a call. It's two brothers who sound exactly like Ernie and Bert and are about as helpful. Unbelievable. However, I finally have all of my documents in order and am ready to head out to get that one last vital item.

About two weeks ago, I got a flood of friend requests on Facebook from my future classmates in Chile. I can only assume that the teachers told them about me, because everyone contacted me within a few days. It's extremely exciting to be able to pratice my Spanish and meet so many people I'm going to be spending the next 5 months with. My mom finds it hilarious how interested the boys are - the girls aren't all that talkative. However, I'll take whatever I can get. I'm no longer afraid of difficulty making friends. Everyone's extraordinarily friendly, curious, and understanding when I muddle up their language.

>>A side note: My favorite part of this communication is the onomatopoeia jajaja which translates to laughter. Because the Spanish "j" is pronounced "h", it's typed in English as hahaha. I can't stop reading it with a "j" and I know I'm going to arrive and "laugh" at something someone says with a "j" sound. I'm just waiting for that moment. Eek!



There's so much to say about this impending adventure... I say impending because, well, who wouldn't be nervous?! I don't want to break any records, however, for world's longest blog, so I'll wrap up with the beginning of my packing list. It's possibly the toughest thing to plan; I'm only allowed one suitcase!

Besides all-weather clothes:
Family gifts - Maple syrup, crunchy peanut-butter, apple cider jelly, cookbook... (still in-the-works)
School - Big flag (thank goodness it's almost the 4th of July!), maple lollipops for my class, Powerpoint presentation about my life here in the USA (so surprisingly hard!)
War and Peace (for a little light reading... Haha.)
Camera
iPod with power adapter
Laptop???
Photos of my friends and family
American trinkets like jewelry, sunglasses, and hairclips


Phfew, that was a long post. It's so difficult to organize all of this information!
Wish me luck - I leave on July 30th at 10 AM in Miami.
Very scary!

0 comments: